Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Hinamatsuri - 雛祭り

At the beginning of march every year there is a Hinamatsuri (ひなまつり). It's a festival of dolls and cute girls (^_^)

In Kumamoto the doll sets that represent the emperor, empress and the court are displayed in Shimotori (下通).

The placement of the dolls is kind of complicated at first glance, because it's difficult to tell what some of them are. On this picture there are emperor and empress, court ladies, court musicians, food and ministers, samurai with some trees, furniture, carriage and some swords.

The Emperor doll from one of the sets.

The Empress from another set. I think I'd boil in all those layers if I wore her kimono.

The details on the dolls are awesome.



Also during hinamatsuri we (foreign people :))) get to dress up for cheap in furisode (振り袖) - a long sleeved kimono. Generally these are worn by young unmarried girls. But who cares about the details when you get just a few hours to wear such pretty clothes. It takes about an hour to put on and they wrap so much stuff around you to get that cylinder shape that it feels like a corset. I think a few hours is more than enough for people who are trying it on for the first time.
This is the kimono I got to wear this year. I generally can't be bothered with intricate hairstyles, but other girls make their hair look very fancy indeed.

Last year I chose a blue kimono with a much more grown up design, but I think this one suits me better.

After dressing up we get to have a mini tea ceremony - basically we are brought sweets and tea. Then we get to take photos. As a last treat we get to see a small traditional music number and a dance. We get to learn a few simple moves as well. It's a different dance every time and this year we got a prop - a kind of a stick with bushy tassels on the ends. Reminded me a bit of those pompoms cheerleaders have.

After all the fun and excitement we get to take off all our finery and go home.

I will definitely come next year as well (@⌒ー⌒@)


No comments:

Post a Comment